3422892

KUALA LUMPUR: More than 2,000 police officers and personnel will be deployed to facilitate the “anti-PM” rally on July 26.

Acting KL police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Mohamed Usuf Jan Mohamad said police personnel will be stationed at all locations where the rally participants are expected to gather.

“The rally goers are expected to gather at Sogo shopping mall, Masjid Jamek, Masjid Negara and Pasar Seni at 11am before marching to Dataran Merdeka at 2pm.

“We will be there to facilitate and ensure the safety of all involved,” he told reporters after the handing over ceremony for the KL police chief post on Friday (July 18).

DCP Mohamed Usuf has taken over the post in an acting capacity from outgoing police chief Comm Datuk Rusdi Mohd Isa.

He said the organiser has already notified the police of the rally.

“We respect the rights of the people to gather.

“However, we urge the rally goers to gather peacefully and refrain from any acts of provocation,” he added.

DCP Mohamed Usuf also reminded rally participants to not burn anything during the rally.

“There will be speeches given at Dataran Merdeka thus we urge the participants to not touch on any sensitive issues.

“We will take stern action if there is any offence committed,” he said.

Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail previously said that the police will facilitate the upcoming rally on July 26 as well.

He said the police would ensure the safety of participants despite organisers no longer being legally required to notify authorities, following a landmark Federal Court ruling on July 1 that struck down Section 9(5) of the Peaceful Assembly Act 2012 as unconstitutional.

“Even though notification is no longer mandatory, we remain committed to facilitating the gathering,” he said.

However, Saifuddin admitted the ruling has somewhat complicated police preparations.

“In the past, when organisers were required to inform the police, the police could better estimate crowd sizes and mobilise resources accordingly, not to restrict the gathering, but to facilitate it.

“Now, without prior notice, the police have to deploy all available assets to prepare a suitable security strategy,” he said.

He assured that the police will handle the rally in a professional manner but reminded organisers and participants to adhere strictly to provisions under the Peaceful Assembly Act 2012.