GEORGE TOWN: Construction work on the Mutiara Line light rail transit (LRT) project has received the green light to begin after it was issued a notice to proceed.
Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said the notice was issued on Tuesday (July 15) to main contractor SRS Consortium Sdn Bhd by project developer Mass Rapid Transit Corporation (MRT Corp).
“With this, the construction process will commence as planned, including the relocation of utilities, road widening, piling and site establishment works along approved segments of the Mutiara Line alignment.
“The works would proceed at various locations along the route where approvals had already been secured from the relevant authorities,” he said in a statement on Thursday (July 17).
Chow said the state government is now awaiting the outcome of the tender process for two remaining packages: the turnkey contractor for CMC2, covering the stretch from Macallum to Penang Sentral, and the rail systems package for the entire line.
“This year has seen several significant developments for the project, including the groundbreaking ceremony at the Bandar Sri Pinang station site, the appointment of SRS as the turnkey contractor for CMC1 in January, and now, the issuance of the notice.
“Looking ahead, a strategic communications platform and public feedback channel will soon be launched to support ongoing and future mega infrastructure projects in the state.
“This will enable the public to obtain further information on the projects,” he added.
The state government has urged the people to give their full cooperation throughout the implementation of the project, which is expected to be completed in 2031.
The Mutiara Line is Penang’s first LRT system.
It is a key component of the Penang Transport Master Plan (PTMP), designed to enhance connectivity and alleviate traffic congestion on both the island and the mainland.