KOTA KINABALU: Sabah’s Malaysia My Second Home (Sabah-MM2H) programme is receiving more applications from investors in China, Taiwan, and other countries, says Datuk Seri Christina Liew.
The chairman of the Sabah-MM2H programme attributed this increase to the efforts of registered agents since the programme’s introduction.
“We have received more applications from China, Taiwan, and other countries.
We encourage you to continue promoting the programme to potential clients overseas through roadshows or other platforms,” said Liew during a meeting with 25 agents on Thursday (July 17).
The State Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister said Sabah looks forward to more foreign applicants buying property and considering Sabah as their second home.
During the meeting, she told the agents about several amendments to the programme’s criteria, which began in Sabah on December 12 last year, as approved by the State Cabinet.
Among the changes is the minimum age for applicants, now lowered to 25 from 30.
Additionally, a successful applicant may place the mandatory fixed deposit in any of the 12 authorised commercial banks and withdraw 50% of it after 12 months for education or medical treatment expenses.
Liew said the agents generally welcomed the amendments, finding the new criteria favourable and more attractive to potential applicants.
She acknowledged several concerns raised by the agents, including the classification of buildings that can be purchased.
“We will discuss and evaluate these in our next monthly meeting, and keep you posted,” she assured them.
Liew said the Sabah-MM2H Committee has been efficient in processing and approving applications from overseas participants.
Also present were the Ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Datuk Josie Lai, and members of the State Sabah-MM2H Committee.