SUNGAI PETANI: A total of 21 workers at a factory producing rubber-based products in the Bakar Arang Industrial Area were rushed to the Sultan Abdul Halim Hospital (HSAH) on Thursday (June 27) after experiencing breathing difficulty and vomiting, believed to be due to inhaling ammonia gas.

Sungai Petani Zone 2 senior operations commander Fire Superintendent Johari Bar Azwar said they received a call about a chemical leak at the factory at 10.01am on Thursday (June 27).

“The Hazmat team from Kulim Hi-Tech fire and rescue station also went to the location to identify the substance and undertake necessary containment procedures,” he said.

He noted that the situation was under control by 10.29am.

Earlier, media reported that a worker fainted while 16 others at the factory suffered eye irritation and dizziness after a chemical spill that occurred on Wednesday (June 26) evening. – Bernama