KUALA LUMPUR: The goodwill contribution by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) is not intended to close the case involving the late Teoh Beng Hock, says DAP secretary-general Anthony Loke.
“The case remains unresolved and open. Accepting the contribution does not mean they agreed to settle the case. Not at all. The goodwill contribution is a form of aid by the government to Beng Hock’s son, who is 15 this year,” said Loke.
“This is something that we hope the Teoh family can consider. Sincerely, we hope they can consider,” he added.
This comes after Teoh’s family rejected the apology from MACC chief commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki, with his 45-year-old sister Lee Lan saying the apology lacked sincerity as no MACC officer had been held accountable for her brother’s death.
At an event on Thursday (July 17), DAP leaders showed their respect to Teoh’s family with Loke, party women’s chief Teo Nie Ching, DAP Selangor chairman Ng Sze Han, and state vice chairman Ean Yong Hian Wah bowing to them.
“As the investigation remains incomplete and the results have yet to meet the Teoh family’s expectations, the DAP bows deeply to the Teoh family in respect and apology,” said Loke
Loke said DAP will continue pursuing justice for the Teoh family when new evidence arises, and the party will also provide legal aid to the family.
“It is not about pressure. It is about responsibility. We felt we were responsible because he was a DAP member. He is our comrade and he served the party.
“He died under investigation because of his duty to the party. Of course we felt responsible to the family,” added Loke.
Loke also said Selangor DAP will be holding a 16th memorial for Teoh’s death on July 27.
Asked if the apology had come 16 years too late, Loke said it is something that the MACC must do.
“It has been outstanding for so long. For the past 16 years, this is the first time MACC made a public apology,” added Loke.
Loke also said a public apology was long overdue.
“But, that does not mean that the case is closed, as the investigation by the other authorities like the police should continue until truth prevails,” added Loke.
Teoh was found dead on the fifth floor of Plaza Masalam in Shah Alam, the morning after he was questioned overnight at the Selangor MACC’s office which was on the 14th floor of the same building.
A 2014 Court of Appeal verdict ruled that Teoh’s death was the result of actions of “one or more persons.”
On Wednesday (July 16), Azam said MACC acknowledged findings of the past investigations, including a police investigation that resulted in no further action and expressed sympathy for the family’s pain over the years.
Azam also said the MACC is prepared to offer goodwill contributions to the education and welfare of Teoh’s child.