3421217

SEREMBAN: A 36-year-old woman who holds a person with disabilities (OKU) card has been fined RM1,800 after pleading guilty to a charge of causing hurt to an 11-year-old boy.

The accused did not contest the charge after it was read to her before Magistrate Saiful Sayoti on Thursday (July 17).

The fine was imposed in default three months’ jail.

She was accused of committing the offence at a grocery store in Mantin at around 12.30pm on Tuesday (July 15).

ALSO READ: Cops detain woman for assaulting, threatening 11-year-old boy in Mantin

She was charged under Section 323 of the Penal Code with voluntarily causing hurt to the victim by stepping on his face and legs.

Offenders can be jailed for up to one year or fined up to RM2,000, or both, upon conviction.

Deputy public prosecutor Fidha Misjedi asked the court to impose a punishment commensurate with the offence, as the victim was a young boy.

She said pleading guilty did not automatically mean the accused was entitled to a lenient sentence.

The accused, who was represented by a lawyer from the Legal Aid Department, pleaded for leniency as she had no source of income, was unmarried, and had mental health issues.

Police detained the accused after the victim’s mother lodged a report claiming that her son had been beaten and threatened by the suspect.

Nilai OCPD Supt Abdul Malik Hasim said the incident was captured by the store’s CCTV system.

The suspect, he said, was said to have been experiencing hallucinations at the time and suspected the victim of shoplifting, although there was no evidence for that.