KUALA LUMPUR: Two foreign men, believed to be the masterminds behind a violent armed robbery and housebreaking syndicate responsible for more than RM3mil in losses, were shot dead by the police in the wee hours of Friday (July 25).
The syndicate, which has been active since 2022, also injured their victims in the course of their crimes.
The suspects, who were in a car, were intercepted by a team from the Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and the Pahang CID during a crime prevention patrol under Ops Aman 6 in Taman Pertama, Cheras, at about 3.45am on Friday.
The car used by the suspects was also reported stolen in Subang Jaya in 2023.
Acting Bukit Aman CID director Deputy Comm Datuk Fadil Marsus, said the suspects acted aggressively when police attempted to stop the vehicle for inspection.
“They rammed into police vehicles and opened fire at our personnel, forcing officers to return fire.
“Both suspects were killed on the spot inside their vehicle,” he told reporters at the scene.
A search of the vehicle uncovered two firearms – a revolver and a semi-automatic pistol – as well as drugs and tools believed to have been used in house break-ins and armed robberies, he said.
“Investigations revealed the two were key figures in a 15-member foreign gang targeting luxury homes, including bungalows and corner units, in the Klang Valley, as well as in Negri Sembilan, Perak, and Pahang.
“We believe they were in the midst of planning another robbery, based on the items found such as bolt cutters, gloves, masks, firearms, and drugs,” he said.
DCP Fadil said efforts are now underway to track down the remaining 13 gang members, with police forces in Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, Perak, Pahang, and Negri Sembilan mobilised.
“So far, the gang has been linked to over 50 cases, but police suspect there may be more victims who have yet to come forward.
“We urge anyone who may have fallen victim to this syndicate to lodge a report at the nearest police station. We also welcome public assistance in reporting any suspicious activity.
“The CID will not compromise when it comes to violent crimes that threaten public safety. We are committed to taking strong and decisive action against such criminals,” DCP Fadil said.