KUALA LUMPUR: The crackdown on tour bus companies may be extended, says Road Transport Department (JPJ) senior enforcement director (Legal Division) Muhammad Kifli Ma Hassan.

He said the duration of the joint enforcement operations would depend on the situation.

“The joint operation with the police, National Anti-Drug Agency (AADK) and Tourism Ministry is supposed to go on till July 31.

“However, if we are still not satisfied with the situation, the operations will carry on till a directive is issued by the minister,” he told reporters during inspections of tour buses and vans at the JPJ Enforcement Centre in Gombak on Tuesday (July 2).

He said that there would be no compromise with bus drivers or companies that flout road safety regulations.

On Monday (July 1), Transport Minister Anthony Loke announced a major crackdown on tour bus and van operators following the fatal accident involving a tour bus.

Last Saturday (June 29), a tour bus carrying 21 people overturned while descending from Genting Highlands, killing two Chinese tourists.

Initial investigation revealed that the 32-year-old bus driver had 27 previous traffic summonses for various offences and did not have a licence.

The company was found to be operating without a permit for four months, using 15 permits for tour buses and 18 for factory buses.

The driver has since been remanded for further investigations.

Loke said he had instructed the Land Public Transport Agency (Apad) to take stern action against the company, including suspension and revocation of its operating licence, if it is found to have violated regulations.

Meanwhile, as of 9.30am today, JPJ enforcement officers temporarily seized two tour buses after their drivers did not have a driving licence.

“The two tour buses were temporarily seized during the operations about 6.30am.

“The bus companies were contacted and told to send replacement drivers before they were allowed to leave about 9.30am,” he said, adding that the companies would be issued summonses.

He added that a tour bus driver, in his 30s, was also detained after failing a drug urine test.

A check on the drivers of 16 tour buses and five express buses came back negative for drug use.

Some 70 JPJ, police, AADK and tourism ministry officers were involved in the joint operations, from 6am till 12pm today.

Muhammad Kifli said that Johor JPJ officers temporarily detained a tour bus after it was found that the Singaporean driver did not possess a licence.